Friday 17 May 2013

Why are we not supposed to blame God?

I was watching a programme called "The Murder Workers" last night, about people who counsel and guide the bereaved families of people who have been killed. One of the relatives was a grieving 12 year old boy, the oldest of 3 children. Their father had killed the mother. When the counsellors first visited the children and their granny, this boy stayed in his room, and was hiding his grief behind anger. On the second visit, however, he was sitting in the lounge, listening to his sister talk about how she witnessed the father stab their mother, and how her older brother (ie. him) had tried to protect their mum. This poor boy was hunched up on the sofa, and started crying quietly. Later, he admitted to the counsellor, that he had sometimes, or at least on that one occasion thought of stabbing his father, but had never been able to gather up the courage. He would have been about 10 when his mother was killed. So, this scene, and their life, made me wonder: Where is God in all this? And why are we not supposed to blame Him?

Traditionally, Christians, unless I am mistaken, thank God, or at least feel grateful, when something good happens in their life. They may even use this opportunity to praise the Lord. So, why is it not a two-way street? Praising and thanking God implies that He is somehow responsible. Therefore, why is it not common practise, or acceptable, to blame God when something awful happens? If we cannot expect Him to interfere, to save people or even help them out in their hour of need, then what is the purpose of praying? Is it merely in order to calm the praying person down; to provide them with some self-induced solace? We are expected to believe that He does sometimes interfere - whenever miracles have happened. So, is this a selective God? What has singled out the recipients of such miracles? What makes them so special? How are the rest of us supposed to feel about that? We just weren't supposed to have quite such a happy life?And wouldn't it be nice, if God could just occasionally butt in? Like the huge National Lottery finger maybe - he could just poke or wag his giant hand at the offending creature. Surely that would work : )

But really, this just bothers me. I do have a somewhat complicated relationship with God - as do, I suspect, lots of people. You see, God and me, we are not in a committed relationship. I suppose God may be committed to me, but I never hear from Him, or should that be Her? And as for me, God is my bootie-call. Basically, I tend to ignore Him, unless I am in dire need of some reassurance. If I really want something, or am feeling panicked or scared, I mean really scared, I will pray. Silently, in my head, because God forbid, ahem, that anyone else should hear me.

I would be very interested in hearing what any religious people, Christians or otherwise would have to add to this piece.

4 comments:

  1. A few things came to mind reading this. First was the comment of an Anglican Bishop (I think) a few mornings ago on the Chris Evans Breakfast Show. He said that the point of praying was to bring us closer to the people we are praying for - to help us empathise with them - rather than as a way of asking for divine intervention. The second was how religious beliefs and peoples perceptions of divinity change as human cultures evolve. The second thing is a BBC News article (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-22250412) about evolving religious beliefs, with the author Karen Armstrong saying how medieval theologians would have a totally different understanding of divinity (a far more complex one) from most of today's population. I think that previously people would have been more accepting of a wrathful or punishing divinity than today and therefore, perhaps, more willing to blame "God" for their suffering or misfortune.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am deeply religious, but I worship the ancient Roman Gods, and if your life isn't going well you can blame the Gods, but it may well be your fault for not maintaining the correct relationship and keeping up your end. When I've wanted something big I've offered something big, and when things are going wrong at least I can do something in the way of a sacrifice to maintain the Pax Deorum.
    Beth

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Beth,
    your answer intrigues me. What is the correct relationship with the Gods? Also, does this apply when it is children who are suffering? When you say you have offered something big, if you have wanted something big, what kind of sacrifice are you talking about? A promise or an object?

    ReplyDelete
  4. A friend of mine tried to publish the following comment, but somehow the system wouldn't let her. So, here it is:
    "All that we can know of God is what we see in other people, and all that other people can know of God is what they see in us.
    It's my motto. It doesn't matter whether God exists or not, that is not the point. It's what we do with the concept of God that matters."

    ReplyDelete