Thursday 5 June 2014

How come you can never be too thin?

As she strode through the crowded swimming pool changing room, all I could think was how glamorous and slim she looked. Yet despite her being so skinny, she seemingly still managed to have presentable breasts - I found myself hoping that she was the nanny rather than the mother - because this woman made me re-think what a yummy mummy is; meaning I instantly felt about as attractive and cool as a.....well, a not very sexy thing. She also sported an unfeasionably tall pair of white stilettos, which made her look faintly ridiculous. I realised I was quite pleased about this - probably because her looking ridiculous made me feel a bit better. At least I knew how to dress for the occasion (children's swimming lessons). Saying that, when I was at school, my class teacher fell in love with, and married one of the swimming instructors at the pool she took us to, so perhaps this glam mum was hoping to do the same. Still, my husband scored brownie points by confessing that he had been hoping that sparkly, white stiletto woman would get the heel caught in the floor grate. I couldn't help but notice the white ring she was sporting though - why do ordinary (slightly bigger and a lot less glamorous) women never sport such diamond-tastic jewellery? Do lesser goddesses not inspire such bank busting devotion? Saying that, it could just be fake, like her tan. Ah, I feel better now : ) 

But it is sad that we women always compare ourselves to others. I did a bit of research online and found one of those "thin-spiration" websites that you may have heard of. It is a website filled with photos of slim women, meant to inspire you to carry on with your diet. The owner of the site encourages other women to send photos of themselves to her, which she will publish, as long as they are not anorexic. She also emphasises that being healthy is very important. However, despite being a perfectly good size and shape, I still came away from this site feeling kind of rubbish about myself. 

Why? Because all the women looked super slim - think totally flat stomachs and thighs the size of catwalk models (on a fat day - i.e. only impossibly skinny as opposed to dangerously anorexic). I suppose that is a kind of "thin spiration", but not one I need, as I could never look like that without surgery. Much like the Carmen Electra photo I once put up, in order to motivate myself to stop snacking and stick to my exercise plan. Now, if you have never seen this woman, she basically looks like a sexed-up version of a Barbie doll. Therefore, no matter how hard I exercise and regardless of how much food I deny myself, I would only have a body like hers if I sawed about 4 inches off my hips, sucked some fat out of my thighs and put it in my breasts.

Ps: Did you know that 80s Supermodel Cindy Crawford would be classed as a plus-size model, if she was starting out today? Meaning the (UK) size 10 model would be considered slightly fat in the modelling world now. According to Cindy, several of her fellow supermodels were the same size as she was. In other words, our models are getting skinnier and skinnier, as are many celebrities. As these make up many of the role models that girls look to for inspiration, this is a worrying trend. It is like a vicious cycle in which, as consumers get thinner and thinner, models, who need to be even slimmer than mere mortals, have to lose even more weight. And so on....Just to remind you, here is Cindy in her glory days - what a fatty...

Fashiontrendsdaily.com 

1 comment:

  1. So today I watched a bit of MTV and I was pleasantly surprised to see so many beautiful curvy young women singing / dancing on the music videos. I mean what I would call curvy, not fashion's idea of curvy). So you think this super skinny, no curves trend is beginning to end? Much as I personally hate skinny jeans it encourages me to see so many teens comfortable with showing off their shapes in these jeans.

    ReplyDelete